Friday, February 20, 2009

Intergrity, what is it? Do you have it?

There are many times in our lives that we are put into challenging situations and wonder if the way we are handling it is the best and most honorable way. I have had a few of those situations crop up in many aspects of my professional life over the past six months and this has lead me to look at these situations and ask. Have I acted with Integrity?
Integrity to me is one of the values I hold with the highest regard, and fail to understand when I see others act in a less than honorable way. For me I want to be held to account for my integrity and always endeavour to act in a way that will leave me with no doubt that I have done my best and most honorably in any given situation.
However recently I have been witness to some strange and in my view dishonorable acts that truly leave me wondering how some people can look in the mirror. 

* Recently I did some work from afar to try and rustle up some support for the Victorian Bushfire victims. This resulted in me personally being attacked by someone who felt that I had neglected another group. Talk about a case of damned if you do damned if you don't. I cannot understand or fathom, why someone would take the time to write to me and attack me for doing what was a purely voluntary thing that offered me absolutely no person gain. Would this person have been better of to offer me some ideas to share that would assist this other group, rather than dis me because I did not have such information to pass on?

* There is quiet alot of stuff around my industry relating to plagiarism and misrepresentation. Unfortunately some feel it is OK to cut and paste information from other websites and try and claim them as their own. I have seen some instances where people have been approached about this and rectified the issue immediately with an apology as well. 
Also though I have seen some people being accused of doing this type of this when clearly there is no plagiarism or breach of copyright. Yet there have threats of intimidation and bullying based on unfounded accusations. When the bully was looked at more closely it seems that they themselves could be seen as guilty of misrepresenting themselves to the detriment of others. Yet when approached about this they deny and think it is OK for to continue to do what they have always done, despite it being a bend of the truth. 
Would these people all not be better off to represent themselves in an honest manner, not inflate qualifications and titles, and only use their own materials in any materials they have? I just do not get it!

* Attacking colleagues, competitors and clients!!!! Oh yes this is rife. I am gobsmacked at how many people spend good time and energy on witch hunts trying to catch others out. There are some people who I wonder if they are so low on business all they do it trawl the Internet looking for someone to attack. Here's a tip. You would be far better of spending your time looking for new clients, new innovations or maybe a new job. Turn that negative energy around and use it for building your business, self esteem and credibility.

This may seem like a negative blog post but it has been playing on my mind for some time now and I feel relieved to have put it on paper. So to end on a positive note, here is a list of the ways I like to operate with integrity: (feel free to use these as well)

* Always look for a win win in any situation or dealing.
* Spend my time and energy worrying about how I can build my business, not kick others down.
* Give of myself, either with time or information to help others become better in whatever they chose in life.
* Keep on learning, "Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful - Samuel Johnson"
* Be honest in all my dealings.
* People I deal with will always know where I stand, I chose not to have hidden agendas.
* I avoid dealings with people who have a negative impact on me or my business.

I would love it if you my readers took a little time to add to this list, by sharing what actions you take every day to live with integrity.
Keep smiling and have a great one....




No comments: