Thursday, December 4, 2008

Yes even YOU can have a holiday!

I was recently fortunate enough to be featured in an article in NZ Business Magazine about taking a break from your business. It was a great time to reflect on our place in business and if really are indispensable or not. 
It is often amazing how many people honestly believe that without them the world would stop revolving. I hate to be the one to break it to these people but reality is that, No the world will not stop revolving. Things will continue to tick over with or without you.
The same goes with business to a certain degree. If you have your systems well in place and working there is no excuse for a business owner to not have a holiday. There are things that need to be done to ensure that things continue to tick over and they are easy to put in place if you really are serious about having a break.
* Hire people that can do the job better than you. I am serious, that way you can relax in the knowledge that things are getting done in a way that allows you to stop micromanaging and hand over.
* Have all work and paperwork up to date, if you have fallen behind invest in a Professional Organiser to spend some time with you to get the paperwork up to date. that way there is not a scary pile waiting for you on your return.
* Have strong, workable and practical policies and procedures in place that are easy to follow and make the job easier.
*Train your staff to do the job in your absence. 
* Hire a virtual service, such as Admincorp to handle phone calls and book keeping etc. Well worth the investment.

Yes it is OK to relax and have a break, you, your family and your business will be better for it.
Happy Holidays.

PS: I certainly take my own advice here and have two amazing Organising Consultants in Jane and Clare, and yes I truly believe they can organise clients better than I can. 
PPS:
our  family packs up and escapes before Christmas and have a beach Christmas without all the stress of a big family day and trying to please everyone. This is a hangover habit from spending many years living away from family. So it is normal for our family to have a Christmas SANS extended family. Now don't get me wrong I love my extended family, however we find a pre Christmas get together far less stressful and meaningful for us. Then we can chill out on Christmas day on the beach or by a river (me, Pete and the 3 kids). I recommend everyone try it at least once in their lifetime.

1 comment:

The Mind of a Mother said...

thanks Susan,
Let em know if there are any specific topics you would like me to cover. I am happy to oblige where i can.
Cheers
wendy