Saturday, September 6, 2008
What to do when it seems to much?
We all have days when life just seems to be steamrollering along and we cannot keep up. These are the days when we blow a fuse or lose our cool with those closest to us.
It does not matter how Organised you are, it is important to remember that we are all human and it can get too hard when you feel like there is too much to do and you cannot do it all on your own.
So what are some coping strategies for times such as these in our lives.
* Walk away - sometimes you need to just drop everything and take yourself away from the situation that is about to push you over the edge. Try and walk away before you get pushed over the edge, not after. (or you may say or so something you regret)
* Do not expect perfection - It is important not to put your own expectations onto others. They will have different expectations to yours and they may not understand why you are losing your cool or getting frustrated.
* Lead by example - Walk the talk and be a leader by showing those around you what you would appreciate.
* Acknowledge & reward - When you see things getting done and people pitching in and sharing tasks etc take the time to acknowledge this and maybe introduce a reward system.
* Use a roster system to get chores done - Kids are old enough from about the age of 3 to be given set chores/tasks around the house. Start simply and remember acknowledge and reward.
* Consequences - Along with reward need to come consequences. If assigned chores/tasks are not done have a penalty system in place.
* Simple rules - Imagine if people put tings away when they had finished with them, shut things after opening and cleaned up messes they made without leaving it all laying around with the expectation someone else will do it. Make these the simple rules in your home - Put it away, shut it, clean it up if you own it, did it or made it it is your responsibility to attend to clearing it up.
* Never ever ask someone to do something you would not do yourself.
I hope these are helpful to anyone out there who has trouble trying to stay organised and simplified by feel like everyone around you is doing there best to make it impossible.